Sunday, October 13, 2013

There is wonder in nature (cheesy but true!)


Why is it that these days the leaves just fall right past us and we don't bother to look up at the trees and feel the wind as it makes the leaves float to the ground? Have we forgotten to wonder about nature? Is life too busy? How has our being “busy” shaped the way we see the natural world? If we as adults think those moments are trivial… are we passing on, or forcing, that perspective onto our children?


I started wondering about this one day last year when I was at a vineyard with a 2 year girl named Ella. We were walking down a path and I thought about what she was experiencing right then, right there, in that moment. We were watching some leaves dance right by our heads as I held her in my arms. I asked Ella what she heard, because she had such a pensive look on her face. I was just watching her, thinking about the fact that I had to get things done "tomorrow" because I had played hookie to hang out with my boyfriend and his family. However, the look on her face made me curious. She said, “wind.” A light bulb went off in my head. Of course that’s what she hears! We don’t hear it. We hear our minds going a million miles per hour, thinking about bills, about the dirty dishes, about how mean the lady at the grocery store was. We forget to listen and experience what is happening moment by moment.  So, I stopped to experience the moment too. I think it is funny how I have to use the words ‘stopped to experience’ that moment, because, why wasn’t I just “in the moment” to begin with?

Why do we carry around an agenda in our mind with all the things we need to do for the day? For the week? Furthermore, if you are crazy busy like me, for the whole month and maybe even next month? In that moment with Ella, when I let go of my mind’s agenda, I was able to listen to the wind, and it was amazing. It was peaceful, it was grounding, and it reminded me that I take moments like that for granted.  It was one of the best learning experiences I had that summer. I forever carry that moment with me in my heart. 

I wonder how can we cultivate that for the next generation? I want to continue to rekindle wonder in myself as an educator in order to cultivate it in the children that I work with, but most importantly, I want to continue rekindling that wonder in myself as a human so that I can live life in all it's beauty.



3 comments:

  1. Blanche, this is beautiful. Reading it, I could literally feel the wind and remember some great days when my favorite thing was to just watch the leaves fall and listen to them crunch under my feet.

    As the world constantly revolves around us at a faster pace than ever before, it is at this time that it is even more crucial for us to slow down and remember our roots. Thank you for the lovely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's kinda like "pass it on" so thanks to all the kiddos who remind me to appreciate earth's beauty :)

      x0 Anita

      Delete
  2. We do quiet mind bird sits (sounds cheesy I know) with the 4 year olds every tuesday in the Presidio (we are up to 4 minutes of silence now!!). It's so amazing to hear their reflections about it afterwards. "I noticed that the wind is strong and I couldn't smell very well because the wind was making my nose not work as well." Amazing!!! Love this post that you wrote.

    ReplyDelete