Monday, October 14, 2013

Sugar, sugar, everywhere!

What do you do when there is sugar, all around you, constantly, like a plague?

My personal answer to that is that you eat it, within reason. In reason for me, is one treat a day. I need to have some sort of treat at the end of the day. Obviously, I don't have a donut a day... I do occasionally eat an apple fritter (I was just introduced to a new kind of donut that is so dense I could die happy just smelling it. It's kinda like an old fashioned, but bigger and denser, fattier, and definitely 10 times more delish. but I don't know the name... butter ball?) Anyway, for the most part, a treat for me is a fourth of a giant dark chocolate bar with sea salt and maybe some sort of nut or an ice cream made real with fatty cream, probably chocolate as well. However, all in MODERATION. We hear that word so often...

Just take a few bites, then put it down. You'll see that you will be satisfied! Or if that is not the case, like it is for me sometimes, give it to someone else! Food should mostly be about nourishing your body. When your body is well nourished, you crave less things. At least that is true for me. I am less hungry when I am eating more healthy fats, proteins, and vegetables than when I am chowing down on granola bars, croissants, bread, etc.

In my opinion, if you are eating something with more than 10-15 grams of sugar, then you are already having your treat! I ask myself this question: Does this have anything else that outweighs the sugar content? Fiber? Vitamins? Please watch the you-tube video I posted for that girl I worried about on Friday who had no dressing on her salad (no fat?) if you want to know why sugar is NOT good for you.
Here it is!

The amount of sugar I had this week-end totaled over 100 grahams, I am sure, and I cannot believe that sweets are all that are the most readily available when you are on a trip! It was SERIOUSLY hard to eat healthy. Even while at a farm! (I just had to have their waffles...Omg. Yumm...) I should have brought my own food, like I usually do. That strategy really does work for me. If you struggle with will power as I do, then it might work for you too.

Now that I am home, I can have the usual super foods (that is all I have available for myself), thank goodness! :)

With the healthy fats from the avocado helping to absorb the wonderful lycopene in the tomatoes- I should be on a good start to cleanse my body of icky sticky overly processed foods.

Heirloom tomatoes.
nutritional benefits
Avocado.
nutritional benefits
Chévre.
Pumpkin Seeds.
Flax. Obvious, more fiber!

Drizzled with Balsamic and Olive Oil. It was yummy!! Usually, all of this goes in with some cucumbers, finely chopped onions, and POWER GREENS. However, Im out of everything else so consequently I discovered a new recipe!

Anyway... I was thinking about food.

Click on the links I found below!

Vitamin packed foods :)

If you need a detox... like me!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment